Hotel Eiger Mürren
First generation
Johann and Anneliese von Allmen-Feuz build the Hotel Eiger in 1892
Second generation
Mimi and Adolf von-Allmen run the hotel from 1932 onwards
Third generation
In August 1964, Annelis married Walter Stähli from Brienz and the family business entered its third generation.
Fourth generation
In 2007, Susanna and Adrian Stähli, the fourth generation, supported by sister Sandra and mum Anneliese, took over the business.
... and today
Since 2022, the façade has also shone in new "Swiss larch wood".
Previous
Next

A family affair since 1892

Mürren and the Hotel Eiger

The Hotel Eiger was built in 1892 by Johann and Anneliese von Allmen-Feuz. After countless conversions and extensions, Susanna and Adrian Stähli are now looking after the guests in the 4th generation. Below you can immerse yourself in the history of the village and our Hotel Eiger - but the best way is to experience our history and our village first hand.
We look forward to seeing you!
We look forward to seeing you!

History - Key figures of Mürren and the Hotel Eiger:

Historical key figures of Mürren and the Hotel Eiger:

1257
First documented mention of Mürren, the village "on the wall". The village is an old Walser settlement, which can still be seen today in the way the houses are built and the colouring of the Mürren dialect. It is assumed that the first people came from the Walser valley via the Wetterlücke.

1789
Opening of the first school. 23 children (out of 105 inhabitants) attended it.

1857
Heinrich von Allmen of the Winteregg mountain community built the first inn, the simple "Hotel Silberhorn".

1870
The tenant of the Hotel Silberhorn built his own hotel, the "Hotel Mürren", in front of the Hotel Silberhorn. Later, the two houses were combined to form the "Grand Hotel and Kurhaus" and developed into a successful large business in the 1980s.

1872
The stately Hotel des Alpes (today's Palace) was opened.

1884
The Hotel des Alpes was destroyed by fire during a Föhn storm and then rebuilt more beautifully and better as the Grand Hotel des Alpes. Mürren's heyday as a successful health resort began. Noblemen, politicians, poets, painters and scholars sought relaxation and inspiration here.

1889
Construction of the Lauterbrunnen-Mürren mountain railway (BLM) begins. Until now, travellers had reached the village via the Lauterbrunnen-Mürren and Stechelberg-Gimmelwald-Mürren footpaths.

1891
The BLM was inaugurated. The number of travellers to Mürren increased by leaps and bounds. The railway only ran in the summer.

1892
The Hotel Eiger was built by Johann and Anneliese von Allmen-Feuz. The building, two storeys and a flat roof, was to be completed by 1 July 1892, and the restaurant hall was to be ready for use on 1 June. The costs amounted to CHF 15,600. A few years later, the dining room was added and the building was raised to four floors. The hotel was also made winter-proof with the installation of a heating system.

1894
The owner of the "Grand Hotel and Kurhaus" built a horse-drawn tram that ran from the BLM station to the Kurhaus. With a gauge of 50 cm and a length of 455 m, the railway was the narrowest and shortest narrow-gauge railway in Switzerland. The Rösslitram was in operation from 1894-1914 and 1923-1930 during the summer season. It is on display today at the BLM station.

1903
After Mürren had previously only been visited in summer, the first skiers appeared in December.

1910
The Mürren cable car started its winter operation, which marked the beginning of Mürren's history as a successful winter sports resort. English tourists in particular loved the winter sports and the sophisticated atmosphere of the large hotels in Mürren.

1910
In August, the airship pioneer Eduard Schweizer, known as Spelterini, succeeded in making the first crossing of the Alps with his balloon "Sirius" from Mürren to Turin.

1911/12
Natural ice rink at the Hotel Des Alpes. "Official" curling began with the founding of the Mürren Curling Club by Britons on 26 February, which no longer exists today.

1912
The Mürren Ski Club was founded on 20 January.

1912
Inauguration of the Allmendhubelbahn. In the beginning, it was a purely winter railway that took its guests comfortably up to the Allmendhubel to the then newly built bobsleigh run.

1919
The Hotel Alpenruh burned down completely.

1922
On 21 January, Sir Arnold Lunn (1888-1974) flagged off the world's first Alpine slalom race next to the Hotel Jungfrau.

1924
On 30 January the Kandahar Ski Club is founded by Sir Arnold Lunn and 8 other Britons (3 of whom are ladies) with the aim of promoting downhill, slalom and recognition of alpine skiing at international level.

1926
After days of stormy south winds, fire broke out on 18 November. The fire brigades of Wengen and Lauterbrunnen came to the rescue on foot from Stechelberg, as the BLM was suspended for repairs. The major fire destroyed the hotels
Edelweiss, Amstutz (today's Alpina) and Des Alpes. After that, the fire ate its way up into the Aegerten forest and
out of the valley, where it threatened Lauterbrunnen. The following day, the föhn broke down and the rain extinguished the fires.

1928
On 29 January, after a five-hour ascent, 18 participants, including 4 ladies, started on the Schilthorn for the first Inferno race to Lauterbrunnen. The winner was Harold Mitchell (1 hr. 12 min.), 4th place went to Doreen Elliott (1 hr. 22 min.), although she had looked after an injured colleague on the way.

1930
Mürrner founded one of the first ski schools in Switzerland.

1931
From 19 to 22 February, the first Alpine World Championships in Slalom and Downhill were held in Mürren.

1932
Foundation of the Kandahar shoe manufactory. The location was in the Montana house on the lower Dorfstrasse.

ca. 1932
Johann and Anneliese's two sons die young; one of influenza, the other in an accident on a ski tour. The hotel passed from "Eiger Hans" to his nephew, "Post Adolf", and thus remained in the family.

1934
Foundation of the Mürren-Tächi Curling Club.

1937
The need for uphill skiing grew. The English in particular favoured not too fast descents with an easy ascent. So the "Schiltgrat", the first ski lift in the Bernese Oberland, began operating in 1937.

1936-45
Adolf engaged the hotelier's daughter Mimi Isele from Weggis as his secretary. Mimi stayed on and the couple married in November 1936. Their children, Annelis, born in October 1937, and Beat, born in October 1941, still remember the troubled war years when the hotel was used to house Italian internees.

1957
The 1st Alpine Course Centre in Switzerland (today's Sportchalet) is opened.

1960
Adolf succumbed to a heart attack on 23 December 1960 at the age of 59. Annelis had already gained valuable experience after attending hotel management school and helped Mimi to continue running the business. Mimi started a long renovation and extension phase with the construction of the new coffee kitchen, the laundry and the Tächi Bar.

1962
Foundation of the International High-Alpine Ballooning Weeks by the balloon pioneer Fred Dolder and the then spa director Erwin A. Sauter-Hewitt.

1964
In August 1964 Annelis married Walter Stähli from Brienz and the family business went into the third generation. Walter had many plans and every off-season building work was done. First the staff house was built, then the fourth floor with the two gables was demolished and a new roof was built.

1965-67
The Schilthornbahn was built on the initiative of Ernst Feuz and Walter Amstutz from Mürren. In 1965 the first three
Sections of the Stechelberg-Mürren-Birg opened. The fourth section, the summit section from Birg to the Schilthorn and the summit building, was the most difficult construction phase. It was opened in 1967.

1968/70
The two children of Annelis and Walter wer born, Sandra, May 1968, and Adrian in October 1970.

1968/69
The Schilthorn, the cable car and the steep snow slopes formed the setting for the most exciting scenes in the James Bond film "On Her Majesty's Secret Service". From October 1968 to April 1969, an army of helpers transformed the Schilthorn summit into the "Piz Gloria". Among other things, a landing pad for helicopters was also built.

1977
In order to upgrade the Hotel Eiger to four stars, the new Eiger Residence with indoor swimming pool, sauna and conference room was built. The financing came from the partial sale of the apartments in the building.

1983
The Alpine Sports Centre Mürren opens its doors.

1994
The dining room was extended and the new suites above were built at the same time.

1995
Enlargement of the hotel terrace. Underneath, a wine cellar was built and the Eiger Stübli expanded.

1997
Walter passed away quite unexpectedly in January. Sandra and Adrian got involved and the hotel could be taken over by the family.
In autumn, the renovation of the fourth floor began. Every year, another floor was added - until
the house was up to date.

1998
Start of the 1st Inferno Triathlon, which leads from Thun via Meiringen, Grosse Scheidegg, Grindelwald, Kleine Scheidegg, Lauterbrunnen and Mürren to the Schilthorn.

2002
Total renovation of the entrance area with the reception and hotel lobby.

2006
The BLM's funicular railway had always been located in a landslide area. Its operation was at risk, which is why the funicular had to be replaced by an aerial cableway. The operation of the old funicular was stopped on 15 April, the new aerial cableway was opened on 16 December.

2007
The 1st Whitestyle Open Contest takes place. In the meantime, the event has established itself as a fixed component of the Mürren winter with the Big Air Contest "Night Air" and the Freeride Sessions.

2007
With the marriage of Adrian Stähli and Susanna Schmelzle in June 2007, the fourth generation took over the business.

2008
Opening of the via ferrata Mürren-Gimmelwald with a length of 2.2 km and a difference in altitude of 300 m.

2012
The Alpine Sports Centre was completely renovated and reopened on 14 December after about nine months of construction.

2013-15
Renovation of all hotel rooms and suites.

2016
On Birg, the Schilthorn cable car opened the "Thrill Walk" rock path.

2016/17
The facilities at the Hotel Eiger have been expanded with an intermediate building. In addition to a new multifunctional room for events and seminars, guests now also have access to a wellness area. At the same time, the staff house was enlarged and renovated.

2020
The rear ice rink at the Alpine Sports Centre has been roofed over. This makes it possible to hold curling tournaments in all weather conditions. In addition, the roof is now also used for large events such as the village festival.

2020-23
The BLM is being completely renovated. The Grütschalp, Winteregg and Mürren stations have been or will be converted for disabled access and new trains will be in service from the end of 2023.

2021/22
The entire exterior façade of the Eiger was completely renovated. The house is now clad in Swiss larch wood.

from 2022
Start of construction of the major project "Schilthornbahn 20XX". The cable car will be modernised and expanded by 2026. The
Conveying capacity will be increased on all sections and Stechelberg-Mürren freight and luggage logistics will be improved.

Scroll to Top